I sat down with my friend Shevy Goldman, the sweetheart behind Eliyas for an IG live where we broke down all the skills you need to successfully shop online. This is where Curate Your Closet meets My Studio Table. If you'd like to watch the chat, you can do so in IGTV here.
Here's an outline of what we covered, consider these your super organized best friend's notes:
PART 1: KNOW YOUR STYLE/BODY
Shevy: Get to know your style
- What do you gravitate towards?
- What makes you feel pretty?
- Try on your favorite of each item category and analyze why it makes you feel fantastic
- Start saving photos of pretty things that speak to you
Rivky: Get to know your body
- There's a difference between size and shape
- Shape rarely changes- Knowing how to dress your shape will open up more possibilities
- Look to balance out your shape- read more about this here
- Give the eye a place to rest
PART 2: KNOW WHERE TO LOOK
Rivky: Know which companies cater to your shape/size
- Every brand has a fit model- this determines who will look best in their clothes.
- Ask your friends that are of similar body shape what their favorite brands are
- When you’re looking for brands- ignore the size number. It is made up. Truly.
Shevy: Surround yourself with people in your vibe
- Follow influencers that appeal to you aesthetically and also that have your body shape
- Save the Pinterest boards
- Save the IG posts
PART 3: ASK YOUR QUESTIONS/KNOW YOUR POLICIES
Both: We are on your side. (All small business are.)
- We have systems in place to answer your questions and make shopping easier, use them.
- If there is no system, look up return policies
- Know how you are with returns- do you have time to go to the post office? Do you have a printer?
- Always reach out immediately, especially with damage.
- If not sure how to get in touch use email. The person who answers DM is most likely not in the office and can't help you with your issue.
- Be nice.
- Final sale on sale items:
- A return is not so simple. There's labor involved in processing it and while the inventory is in your house it can't be purchased by anyone else.
- With heavily discounted items, the margins just don't work out. It's math.
- Final sale on vintage:
- It take a lot of labor to create a product page and it's a one of a kind piece. No one else can have it at all when you do.
- Read more about shopping vintage online here
PART 4: IT ARRIVED! WHAT NEXT?
Shevy: Try it on properly
- Undergarments- bra, girdle etc
- Pull look together- shoes, jewelry
- Do you already have a place you want to wear this?
- When to size up or down
- Which alterations are worth it (pinch in at seam)
- Which are usually not (touching shoulders, neckline)
- Adding length? add same fabric somewhere else
Remember the above is a rough outline of what we discussed, get the full breakdown by watching the IGTV here.